This recipe is adapted from and inspired by many sources. Makes 32 two-inch square bars.
COOKWARE YOU WILL NEED
- Baking pan
- Large bowl
- Small wisk
- Cooling rack
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, slightly softened but still cool, cut in cubes
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Sea salt flakes, such as Beyond The Shaker Murray River or Fleur de Sel, for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
2. Butter a 9 inch by 13 inch baking pan. Line with parchment and butter the parchment.
3. Combine the pastry ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
4. Mix until the dough resembles coarse lumps and just begins to come together.
5. Dump the dough into the prepared pan and, with your fingers, evenly press the dough to cover the bottom of the pan.
6. Bake the crust until it just begins to turn golden, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven
7. Whisk the filling ingredients together in a large bowl until blended. Evenly pour over the crust.
8. Return the pan to the oven and bake until the filling is set but not coloring, about 25 minutes.
9. Remove and cool completely on a rack.
10. Cut into bars. Dust with confectioner’s sugar and lightly sprinkle with sea salt flakes.