Brought into being through a miraculous interaction among the forces of time, earth, sea and sun, this naturally harvested salt from France’s Atlantic coast is often termed the ‘caviar’ of salt. Use Fleur de Sel as a universal replacement (and huge upgrade) for table salt, on edamame, sprinkled on chocolate (incredibly good), creamy risotto, chopped napa cabbage, seared chicken breast, or almost any grilled fresh water fish.
Click on the tabs above for more application and dish ideas, or to read the complete description of this premium gourmet salt.
- Flexible alternate (and improvement) for table salt
- Hand-dried raspberries or strawberries (dry fruit will ensure the salt flakes retain a crunch)
- Thinly sliced cucumber with a drizzle of olive oil
- Roasted garlic (bake whole garlic in tin foil, drizzle with olive oil and Fleur de Sel- serve with baked bread and brie)
- Pasta simply tossed in butter and a bit of red wine vinegar
- Homemade caramels (sprinkle on the top for a crunchy surprise)
- Whole in-pod edamame beans (it is ok to use frozen that have been defrosted in the microwave)
- Grilled beef tenderloin
- Salad of raw Napa cabbage, lightly toasted rye seeds, and champagne vinegar
- Lightly grilled watermelon (this preparation concentrates the sweet flavor and dries the outside slightly, which elevates the crunch of the Fleur de Sel)
- Atop a classic Arborio risotto
- Mixed with panko breadcrumbs as a breading for chicken
- Micro-greens from pea, fennel or radish shoots
- Panned fried fresh-water fish filets, like bass or perch (add a sprinkle right before serving)
If you are the least bit skeptical that there is a real distinction between natural, unrefined, sea salts and the ‘other stuff’ (processed table salt), Fleur de Sel will revolutionize your perception of salt and flavor. Fleur de Sel is the shimmering white ballerina that many in the gourmet food world consider the lead performer in the venerable and multifaceted ensemble of unrefined salts. Indeed, it has been frequently termed the ‘caviar’ of salt. With mist-fine, crystal-clean flakes that could be confused for a fragile first snow, it is impossible to deny the striking beauty of Fleur De Sel. But beyond its sheer physical perfection, the flavor is where Fleur de Sel’s true exquisiteness resides.
It becomes clear when there is that epiphany moment- your eyes obligate you to take your first taste of this ravishing salt. As the delicate crystals dance along your tongue in a mélange of toned salinity, it is in this instance that you begin to appreciate the sheer improvement Fleur de Sel is over the processed alternatives. It is understandable why wars have been fought and kingdoms lost over this rare treasure of the natural world.
The name “Fleur de Sel” is French for “flower of salt,” which perfectly describes its fine white appearance and flavor. This naturally harvested salt is so exceptional because it is brought into being through a miraculous interaction among the forces of time, earth, sea and sun. Since its paper-thin flakes are so prized, Fleur de Sel can only be hand-harvested from ancient salt flats in a time-honored process by artisan workers off the Brittany peninsula of France. This salt from the pristine Atlantic coastal waters contains no bleaching or anti-caking agents, or other additives of any kind. And it is precisely this reason that Beyond the Shaker relies on this wondrous sea salt as a key base for our Beyond the Blends premium gourmet collection, since only the finest ingredients can suitably pair with such an exquisite salt like Fleur de Sel.
Fleur de Sel can be used as a universal replacement (and HUGE upgrade) for table salt, although it is important to keep in mind that it is a much more delicate flake form (versus a dense granule), and so it will dissolve quite quickly in wet applications. Since it contains a natural balance of oceanic minerals and trace elements, always store Fleur de Sel in a glass, wood or ceramic container. We have some available here! On behalf of Fleur De Sel, and the rest of the Pure Foundation collection, welcome to the glorious world of unrefined sea salts!
Natural unrefined sea salt.
Find Similar Products by Category
Natural unrefined sea salt.