The flowers are blooming, the sun is out, and the birds are chirping – all signs that summer is finally here! This summer Mexican bean salad is the perfect side dish for backyard BBQs and picnics alike. The Wild Mushroom salt has a nice earthy flavor and adds depth to this delicious dish. This colorful and tangy twist on a classic will be the highlight of the party, watch as all your friends come back for seconds and thirds!
COOKWARE YOU WILL NEED
- One large bowl
- One small bowl
- Mixing spoon
- Small wisk
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Beyond The Shaker Wild Mushroom salt
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 cloves crushed garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 dash of your favorite hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- In the large bowl, combine beans, corn, bell peppers, and red onion.
- In the small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients: olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, lime juice, lemon juice, sugar, garlic, cilantro, cumin, and black pepper. Season to taste with hot sauce and chili powder. Wisk thoroughly.
- Pour olive oil dressing over vegetables; mix well. Chill thoroughly, and serve cold.
This summer mexican bean salad is best served cold. It can be eaten as a side dish, but it also makes a great dip with tortilla chips. Want to take it up a notch? Add a little lemon or lime zest to make it really zing! You can also serve it in a large mason jar – all the vibrant colors and layers will show through and make a tantalizing presentation. Tip: you can use the dressing recipe on salads and it makes a great chicken marinade as well.
Submitted by Chloe Knox